2 lbs. celery root
½ cup unsweetened coconut milk or dairy cream
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
Sea salt, to taste
Chopped celery root leaves, for garnish (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, using 1 Tbsp of salt for every 2 quarts of water.
2. While the water is coming to a boil, peel the celery roots with a knife. Cut the celery roots into 1-inch pieces.
3. Add the cubed celery root to the boiling water and boil for 25 or 30 minutes, until soft.
4. Drain the pot, return the celery roots to the pot, and set to low heat. Cover and let the celery roots steam for a minute or two, shaking the pan a bit to prevent sticking.
5. Add the coconut milk or cream, butter, a generous pinch of salt, and mash the celery root with a potato masher until it’s as smooth as you like it. Add sea salt to taste and garnish, if using.
Inspired by Simply Recipes